ECIDC Current Newsletter
Published February 1, 2012
ECIDC Feature Member
The First National Bank of Dieterich, with five locations in Effingham County, is a proud member of ECIDC and supporter of community development efforts in east central Illinois.
The First National Bank of Dieterich, located at 101 North Main Street, was chartered on November 15, 1909. The bank served local farmers, merchants, and people of the Village of Dieterich. Owned and operated by N. J. Stipp, President, and R. C. Crays, Cashier, in 1919, both gentlemen saw the bank through in the 1930s and survived the Great Depression. Bank assets were $228,000 in 1930, and by 1944 when Stipp and Crays sold the bank to J. M. Schultz, bank assets were $857,000. As the bank continued to grow and prosper due to its loyal employees and dedication to the community, the bank moved into a new building at 103 West Section Street in Dieterich in 1969.
In 1986, the bank expanded yet again, and a new bank was built at 101 South Main Street in Dieterich where it still operates today as the main facility. Tom Niebrugge was named President, bank assets were at $18,000,000, and the bank now had a total of nine employees. The bank was realizing significant growth, and in 1993 discussions began regarding expansion into other communities. Because of the special dedication and conscientious work ethic of the bank's employees, and the progressive vision of its Board of Directors, in 1996 the National Trail Banking Center, now known as The First National Bank of Dieterich – National Trail located between Teutopolis and Effingham, and the Newton facility serving Jasper County were established. The Lake Sara facility opened in November of 1999 inside a convenience store located at the corner of Route 33/32 and Lake Sara Road. The bank now operated out of four locations, had grown to $100,000,000 in assets, and had forty-four employees.
As the new millennium took hold, the community banking industry became increasingly competitive. Not only were community banks competing with each other for market share, but the bigger regional and national banks were also viable competitors. Even so, the bank continued supporting its communities through innovation, technology, and genuine customer service. The vision for the bank's growth continued. In 2007, the bank broke ground for a fifth banking facility to be located at 510 West Fayette Avenue in downtown Effingham. The new Effingham facility opened its doors in May of 2008, and in spite of the economic downturn, the bank ended the year with $232,000,000 in assets.
After a substantial year of growth in 2009, we're open for business in a new stand-alone banking facility located at 10911 E. State Hwy. 33 in Effingham as of December 10, 2009. The new full-service bank replaces the convenience store operation at the corner of Route 32/33 and Lake Sara Road. As visionaries of the community banking industry, we know our customers and future customer demands require the ability to reach out to their community bank from home, work, on vacation, anywhere in the world through technology. Through progressive, diligent, and responsible management, the bank has exceeded $350,000,000 in assets and employs over seventy dedicated individuals from within its communities. As quoted by Henry Ford, "Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success."
For more information, please visit www.primebanc.com